Tuesday, July 8, 2008

An Organizer Ponders a Container Store Image



Look at this picture from The Container Store!

Organizers often remind their clients to go vertical - to make the most of their walls.

We also know that for some people, the best storage keeps things out and visible, rather than hidden away.

And we know that hooks are some of the easiest storage to use.

So my first reaction to this photo was pure delight - even if it's not a style that would please me, personally.

And then I wondered how the owner of those purses was going to get to the ones near the top. Maybe they aren't used as often. Still, I hope there's a ladder in that dorm room somewhere.

And then I wondered if most college students have 18 purses that they really like and use.

6 comments:

Michele said...

The image does seem unrealistic for a dorm room and for a college student. There seems to be more space in this room than one person has in a dorm room too.

Anonymous said...

It's like candy!
But I can't help but wonder "Won't they get dusty?" :)
Occupational hazard, I guess...

Jeri Dansky said...

Lauren, another organizer sent me an e-mail also noting the dusting issue. I don't know how I neglected to mention that!

Michele, I also got an e-mail noting how unrealistic it is to expect your entire room (file folders, purses, shoes, hampers, etc.) to all be perfectly color-coordinated. Who lives like that? Not many of us, that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

My neighbors daughter is in college. She owns over 50 purses. Her entire room is color coordinated and have you every been in a dorm room. dust is not an issue, they usually have great air filters. As far as height goes, if you can reach the top of that cabinet the purses are a cinch. Also we are talking about college students, they will just stand on the couch.

Natalie said...

You can pick the purses off the wall with a pole -- like they used to use to open and close transom windows, etc. A color-coordinated pole, of course.

Jeri Dansky said...

Anonymous, I guess dorm rooms have improved a lot since I went to college.

Natalie, thank you for the suggestion and the smile I got reading your response. I know the kind of pole you mean, and that's an obvious answer. And a reacher could work, too.