Saturday, May 10, 2008

In Honor of My Mom: Organizing in Blue

wood box with photo of raindrop, all in blue

My mom's favorite color was blue. I'd tease her sometimes, saying I'd give her a hint as to her birthday gift: It was blue. Mom died a year ago today, so I thought I'd share some blue organizing products in memory of her.

Let's start out with one my mom would have really liked: the keepsake box shown above. Update on May 9, 2011: I'm no longer finding this box on the web.


bird-shaped blue box

Mom would have liked this handmade bird-shaped lacquer box, too. (But she wouldn't have approved of the price; Mom was frugal.) Update on May 10, 2012: I'm no longer finding this product.


blue utensil holder with wooden spoons

Mom wasn't much of a cook, but she'd have liked the color on this utensil holder.


baby blue tea canister; says Tea on the front

Staying in the kitchen for a minute, there's this enameled tin tea canister. Update on May 9, 2011: I'm no longer finding this one on the web.


blue flowered photo album - exterior and interior

As with most moms, mine cherished her photographs. Here's an album in her favorite color. You can find another blue flowered photo album here.


photo box, blue on one side

And here's a photo storage box with a bit of blue for the accent color. Light Impressions also has a nice archival photo box in blue (and other colors). Update on May 9, 2013: I'm no longer finding that first photo box.


blue wicker basket

I found some stunning blue baskets a while ago; here's another option, the first simple blue wicker basket I found. Update on May 9, 2013: The store that sold this specific basket seems to have disappeared.


blue basket, holding tableware

Then I discovered that Longaberger has a blue basket, too. Update on May 9, 2011: Longaberger doesn't seem to sell this one any more.


fabric box in blue and white pattern

Moving over to Etsy, always a fun place to look for containers, there's this blue and white fabric box from Storyshop. Update on May 9, 2011: Storyshop doesn't seem to sell these boxes any more.


stack of blue hat boxes with pink polka dots

If you live in the UK, you could get these hat boxes.


blue glass-front case

And then there's the blue furniture. Maine Cottage has many different cases and a large selection of colors available for all of them - so finding something blue is easy. Other places with lots of options are Sawdust City and A Colorful Place. Update on May 9, 2011: I was not able to access the web site for A Colorful Place.


blue locker

Moving beyond the wood furniture, there's this blue locker.


cabinet with artistic flair

And coming back to wood with an ending flourish, take a look at this cabinet by Avner Zabari.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jeri... you gave been in my thoughts leading up to mother's day- I'm so sorry you lost your mum. I love the creative way you honour her memory, though! I know you both love reading, so I am sending you a link to a book...
www.shanelavalette.com/.../photo-books/page/2/
not sure about the title, but the colour is right!

Jeri Dansky said...

Thank you, Lissanne. I couldn't get that URL to work, but I think I found the book cover you were writing about.