Monday, May 26, 2008

An Homage to Etsy: Felted Bowls, Incredible Baskets, and More

pine needle basket

For those of us who love to patronize talented artisans, Etsy is a terrific find - a place to get all sorts of handmade items from people near and far. The San Francisco Chronicle ran a nice piece on Etsy today; I never realized you could ask for a custom-made piece on Etsy until I read this article!

Here are just a few things I've found on Etsy recently.

Tree Top Collections makes some lovely pine needle baskets, one of which is shown above.


square egg basket

This egg basket comes from Grandma Weezie's Basket Garden.


green egg basket - or melon basket

Cheryl has baskets in a range of styles.


wood basket in a wood frame shaped like a stegosaurus

How clever is this? M "n" M Treasures makes collapsible wood baskets - collapsed, they serve as trivets. The designs range from this stegosaurus to a pig, a train, a teapot - and many more.


bicycle basket with liner in beach design

Lucky Find Designs makes linings for bicycle baskets.


3 nesting felted bowls in blue, red, and turquoise

Papaver Vert makes stunning nesting felted bowls.


felted vessel in pinks and purples

And Shirley Cook makes some incredible felted vessels.


green and purple felt box

Spider Felt sells lovely felt boxes - and has a wonderful logo. Update on Feb. 18, 2013: I'm no longer seeing these felt boxes in the Spider Felt Etsy store.


silk basket, round, shallow

Lauren Sng makes silk rag baskets from old kimono linings.

Finally, I'd like to point you to knitwit4ever - not because it has anything to do with organizing, but because the person behind it is my college roommate.

Related posts:
Etsy: 6 Attractive Alternatives for Storage
Tiny Little Baskets

6 comments:

Allison Spitzer Carter said...

I love etsy! It's way more fun than browsing ebay. My best friend from childhood, Laura, makes silver fabu jewelery
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5362250

My other favorite is Obsessive Consumption zines. The artist has documented "what did you buy today?" in her hand drawn magazines for years.

Fun for an organizer to get ideas.... such as drawing "what did you purge today?"
-- allison

Jeri Dansky said...

Allison, I have no interest at all in eBay - but Etsy is a whole different thing. I don't buy much (since I really don't need much), but I've been delighted with the few items I have purchased.

I like Laura's jewelry - too bad I don't look good in silver.

And thanks for the pointer to Obsessive Consumption. Now I have one more blog to read!

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO much for featuring my bike basket liners! I hope you had a great weekend :).

Kayte

Louise said...

Etsy is a dangerous place. So much crafty goodness, I could fill the bus!

Thanks for participating in my Mr. Linky. Of course, I already read your blog regularly, but maybe you'll get some new readers this way, too.

Anonymous said...

Etsy is indeed a wonderful source for all kinds of delightful things handmade! And it's great fun participating as a seller, too!

Another friend just e-mailed me a link to the SF Chronicle article, and then Google alerted me to your blog reference to my shop, knitwit4ever. What a nice way to start the day!

Thanks, Jeri!

Lauren said...

Jeri, thank you very much for the mention! Have a wonderful weekend. As for me, back to basket making...