Friday, January 30, 2009

The Ubiquitous Sticky Note

toast-shaped dispenser for sticky notes

Amazing - I've been blogging since October 2006 and I have yet to write about sticky notes! Well, it's time to remedy that. Office supply fans, this one's for you!

If you like to stick with basic yellow, the toast dispenser above might give you a smile. [via popgadget]


Post-its from recycled paper

But even staying with the 3M Post-it brand, you have a wide range of options. Especially noteworthy are the Post-its made from recycled paper. [photo from The Green Office]


sticky note pad

And if you want something a bit more interesting, there's plenty to choose from. Russell+Hazel is one place worth looking. [photo from See Jane Work, which sells one of Russell+Hazel's many sticky note pads] Update on March 31, 2010: See Jane Work still carries sticky notes, but not the ones from Russell+Hazel.


lined sticky notes

These simple lined adhesive notes (available in four colors) come from M.O. Update on Jan. 13, 2011: It seems these are no longer available.


pack of 8 sticky note pads

Moving on to more elaborate sticky notes, Galison/Mudpuppy has a number of choices. Each set has eight pads; the pads are in three different sizes.


sticky notes,8 different patterns

Lotta Jansdotter has some lovely sticky notes, available through Chronicle Books. The sticky notes are sold in sets of 8 pads, with 25 sheets/pad. [photo from Amazon.com; via frolic]


8 pads of sticky notes

You can get a similar set of sticky notes designed by Sukie, also published by Chronicle Books. [Again, photo from Amazon.com; via frolic]


sticky notes with a fox

And moving along to Etsy, Cicada Studio has these sticky notes with foxes - as well as others with birds. Update on July 24, 2013: Cicada Studio is no longer selling sticky notes.


cute sticky notes

If you want cute, Asking for Trouble is glad to oblige.


two sticky notes - cat and dog

Rachael Hale is known for her animal photography, and some of that has been translated to sticky notes - available here.


sheep sticky notes

And then there's Jellycat, known for its stuffed animals - which now provides animal-themed sticky notes, too.


turquoise sticky note with elephant

And finally, from Australia, kikki.K brings us these fanciful sticky notes. Update on March 31, 2010: Kikki.K still sells sticky notes, but not the one shown above.

12 comments:

Christy said...

Hi there! I enjoy your website and subscribed a few weeks ago. But I noticed the title is "Organizing and Decluttering News"...I haven't seen any decluttering posts. The post-its and magnet posts are cute, but I am trying to pare back my possessions and I'd love some tips from a pro on living with less.

Thanks and Best Wishes!

Jeri Dansky said...

Hi Christy,

The last decluttering-related posts were about unwanted gifts and your parent's clutter (and your own).

But you're right - I've probably been light on the decluttering posts lately. I'll see about focusing a bit more in that direction.

In the meantime, let me direct you to some older posts, here, here, here and here.

And you may want to check out some of my old newsletters (which have more of a "tip" focus) including this one and this one.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you called your post "The Ubiquitous Sticky Note" because although they are useful little tools, they seem to be way over-used. One client the other day had over 50 plastered all over her desk, screaming for attention. And guess what? They didn't work.

Cynthia Friedlob said...

Great notes -- I use lots of them.

I once had a pad of sticky notes decorated with a cute cartoon of a dog, his dinner bowl, and the sage advice, "Don't think too far beyond your next meal."

I wish I could find that design again!

Christy said...

Thanks for taking the time to pass on that info, Jeri! :o)

Christy said...

Forgot to ask -would you consider an article on how to dispose of your old video tapes? I don't want them to sit in a landfill, but I suspect no one will want to watch old tv and movies. :)

Sabrina Mix said...

Oh...

I've loved the cat one!

Best wishes!

Jeri Dansky said...

Christy - done! I just wrote about what to do with old video tapes.

Jeri Dansky said...

Angela, I agree; as with many tools, sticky notes can be well used - or not.

Cynthia, apparently that same phrase shows up in Suzy Becker's All I Need to Know I Learned from my Cat

Sabrina, I'm glad you found something here that you liked!

Anonymous said...

Haha, I love the one with the lambs on it! But I think once you get passed a certain size with the sticky notes they tend to resemble notepads rather than sticky notes.

Jeri Dansky said...

Notepads, the ones with the sheep aren't that big. They're 6 x 8 cm, which is only 2.4 x 3.1 inches.

Cynthia Friedlob said...

How interesting! It's certainly an equally appropriate quote for dogs or cats. The book looks charming. Thanks for the follow-up!