Sunday, February 1, 2009
A reader who requested more decluttering posts asks: Would you consider an article on how to dispose of your old video tapes? I don't want them to sit in a landfill, but I suspect no one will want to watch old TV and movies.
Sure! Here are some options, in no particular order.
1. Offer them on Freecycle. You never know what people will want. I've found new homes for some of my clients' video tapes through my local Freecycle.
2. Check with your local Goodwill or Salvation Army - or any local thrift store.
3. See if a local nursing home or hospital wants them.
4. See if a local homeless shelter or domestic violence shelter wants them.
5. See if your local library (or friends of the library organization) wants them.
6. Ship them off to ACT - Alternative Community Training.
7. Ship them to GreenDisk or Tropical Media for recycling. Update on January 10, 2012: The website for Tropical Media seems to have disappeared.
8. Search for Video Tapes on Earth911.
[photo from makelessnoise, licensed under Creative Commons]