Thursday, March 26, 2009

I'm in the Shower, I Got a Great Idea - Now What?

dive slate

As David Allen tells us: "Your mind is for having ideas, not for holding them." So what do you do about the ideas that come to you in the shower? It's been quite a while since I posted about writing in the shower, so it's time for an update.

The dive slate is still a perfectly fine option; you can get these through dive shops, or you can get the one shown above from Cindy Helgason at Soupourri Natural Bath & Body; she includes a non-rusting hook to hang it from. [Image from Amazon.com]


washable crayons

And the washable crayon is still a decent option, too. Jennifer Barthe writes on HubSpot, "I too get my best ideas in the shower. I use washable crayons to write down my ideas on the tiles and then I write them down on paper later." Just be sure the product you're using is not going to cause any staining issues. (Some have reported problems.) Crayola says, "The Crayola Washable formula was designed to wipe off of most walls and non-porous household surfaces with just warm water and a sponge."


waterproof notepad for shower

But I'm also intrigued by some newer products, including Aqua Notes - a waterproof notepad.


waterproof notepad

The Droodle is a similar product - a waterproof notepad. [via GeekAlerts]

12 comments:

Christy said...

Products like this are more for cluttering than "decluttering", methinks. ;)

Jeri Dansky said...

Christy, I think it just depends on the person. I've already received a message from someone - an organizer, no less - who thinks this would really be useful for her.

Tanna Clark said...

Jeri, I love you!!! I keep telling myself I need to look into this but I'm afraid hubby will think I have gone over the deep end. I really do come up with some great stuff in the shower though. And it dwindles as I get out and I can't remember it all.

This is awesome!

Jeri Dansky said...

Tanna, I'm delighted to know this will be useful to you. I'd love to hear what you get, and how it works out.

Anonymous said...

Jeri, here's another organizer who loves this idea. In fact, I've tried it with Chalk Markers. While they wrote beautifully on the tile, when washed off, the grout absorbed the colour where it dripped. I'm delighted to hear of other options. My best ideas come when I'm showering.

SueBK said...

Angela, I think I need to get me some of those chalk markers! Coloured grout sounds great; maybe then I wouldn't notice the colour its not supposed to be so much :-)

Jeri Dansky said...

Angela and SueBK, glad to hear from you! This has been a fun (and enlightening) discussion.

mudpoet said...

I use a wet erase markers like teachers use on overhead projectors and I write them on my mirror in the bathroom. I transfer them to my PDA or notebook later.

Lauren said...

Ha!Ha! I was just contemplating this last week when I came up with another brilliant, big idea in the shower that went down the drain.

I love the idea of the waterproof pads...I would prefer bigger though.

Love it!

Jeri Dansky said...

Lauren and mudpoet, good to hear from you! Thanks for sharing your tactics and experiences.

Deb Lee said...

Another organizer here... Though I love the idea of washable crayons, I'm super impressed by the Aqua Notes. It's amazing the stuff that rolls around my brain in the shower. Those notes would definitely come in handy. Thanks for the info!

Jeri Dansky said...

You're very welcome, Deb!