Wednesday, February 27, 2008
A box is a terrible thing to waste. -- Benzera Boxes
You're getting ready to move - but going out and buying brand new moving boxes seems wasteful. Don't worry: You have lots of other options.
1. Advertise on your local Freecycle. Moving boxes are requested and offered all the time on mine. You could also try craigslist.
2. If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area, consider Bay Area Box Express; the company sells "Precycled, too-good-for-the-recycle-bin boxes, at up to 50% off what most retail moving supply stores charge."
3. If you live in the Boston area, consider Benzera Boxes, which sells used professional moving boxes.
4. Usedcardboardboxes.com sells used moving boxes throughout most of the U.S.
5. U-Haul has created the U-Haul Box Exchange, "a messageboard that you can use to trade, sell or buy reusable boxes and moving supplies." [via Consumerist and Lifehacker]
6. Earth Friendly Moving lets you rent moving boxes! The boxes (called Recopacks, and pictured above) are made from recycled plastic rather than cardboard. Unfortunately, they are only in Southern California right now, but they have plans to go nationwide. [via Apartment Therapy]
7. If you're in Southern Nevada, you could try Moving Box Rentals - which also sells gently used boxes.
8. Eco Box in Texas also buys and sells used moving boxes.
These are all U.S.-only options (except for Freecycle and craigslist); if anyone knows about more options for recycled moving boxes outside of the USA, please send me e-mail or add a comment.
Original Post, November 2006: Moving Boxes, Greener and Cheaper