Thursday, June 18, 2009

11 Hampers (and Such) to Help You Sort the Laundry

3 section hamper tote - colors, darks, whites

So, in your research travels, have you found a sectional laundry hamper that is eco-groovy? Something along the lines of the Ingrid Anderson design, but with two or three compartments (for doing a pre-sort on the laundry), and hopefully not so pricey? -- question posted in comments, from organizer Claire Josefine

Sorry, Claire - I really haven't. But I'll share some of the more interesting products I have found. The one above is the HamperTote from ORE - and the company says it's orange, although the picture looks red to me.


3 section laundry bag - colours, darks, whites

And here's the quite-similar 3-in-1 laundry bag from John Lewis in the U.K. - except, of course, it says colours, not colors.


laundry totes - whites, colors, dry cleaning, laundry, hand wash

These individual laundry totes could also be used for sorting. [via Sarah's Fab Day]


divided laundry cart, willow

This willow divided laundry cart is a different sort of portable option. Update on July 29, 2011: The site I found this at no longer carries it — and to my surprise, I'm not finding it anywhere else, either.


triple laundry sorter

Another popular style is this triple laundry sorter - bags that hang from a metal frame.


triple-laundry-sorter

This triple laundry sorter has labeled bags. Update on Aug. 25, 2012: I'm no longer finding this exact laundry sorter.


double laundry sorter - couleurs and blanc

And this double laundry basket from Incidence is labeled in French. (Available for purchase from Amazon.fr, among other places) Update on July 29, 2011: I'm no longer seeing this product being sold by Incidence, but the company has a number of other options.


double laundry hamper

The most stylish option of this type is the x-frame laundry hamper from SimpleHuman - there's a single version of this hamper, too. It's widely available.


sorting hamper, colors vs. whites

Then we come to the sorting hampers; this one comes from Kangaroom. Two little pictures distinguish colors from whites.


divided hamper, seagrass

Pottery Barn has this divided hamper. It's made from seagrass, so I suppose it has some eco goodness. It's not inexpensive, though. (You can get a cheaper seagrass divided hamper at CostPlus World Market.)


bamboo laundry sorter

And finally, this bamboo laundry sorter - again, not inexpensive - is made by Wireworks. Update on August 25, 2012: I'm no longer finding this product on the Wireworks web site, although the company does have a laundry box (not a sorter) in natural oak and dark oak.

The rest of the June 2009 laundry series:
7 Striking Laundry Bags
6 Laundry Hampers from Around the World
Many More Ways to Store the Laundry

2 comments:

Claire Josefine said...

Thanks, Jeri! Actually, the seagrass one from Cost Plus is very close to what I'm looking for, and the dimensions are perfect for the space I have for it. Can't tell if it has cloth liners from the picture, though. And how do I order the brown one? I only see links to the lighter colored one (over in the right column). Oy. Guess I'll have to call Cost Plus and see if they can answer my questions. (Of course, I'm ignoring the fact that it's made overseas, the carbon footprint of which probably negates any eco-groovy points earned by being constructed of seagrass. But perfection ain't possible -- gotta just do the best you can.)

Claire Josefine
author of The Spiritual Art of Being Organized,
Earth-Friendly Organizing, and
Following Raven, Finding Ground: A Road Trip in Search of Home
Founder and moderator of the Simple and Sustainable Organizers Yahoo! group
www.clairejosefine.com

Jeri Dansky said...

I'm so glad I found something that might work for you, Claire.