Friday, March 9, 2007

Sorting It Out

book cover, Sorting It Out

I just finished reading Sorting It Out: One Disorganized Woman Solves the Problem of Too Much Stuff, by Cynthia Friedlob. If you are suffering from Too Much Stuff, you might enjoy reading about Cynthia's stuff issues and how she dealt with them. Cynthia also writes a great blog, called The Thoughtful Consumer.

Here is one of my favorite passages from the book.

* * * * *

If there's one characteristic that all of us who hang on to things seem to share, I suspect it's an overdeveloped sense of obligation to our stuff. We "should" find a way to use that old birdcage; maybe we can turn it into a planter. We "should" read all of those back issues of "Tasty Treats" magazine that we haven't had time to go through; there could be some good recipes in there for next year's holiday cookies. We "should" save that dried flower and ostrich feather lampshade from little cousin Eustace; after all, it was a gift and he made it himself. . . .

In fact, I think the only "should" we need to remember is that we should try to live our lives in a meaningful, honorable way, with joy in our hearts. What does stuff have to do with that?

1 comment:

Cynthia Friedlob said...

Thanks for reading my book and mentioning it on your blog! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. I also appreciate the referral to my blog, The Thoughtful Consumer.

I always enjoy your thoughtful blogs, too!