Friday, September 12, 2008

Record Album Storage: A Stunning Cabinet and Other Options

record album storage cabinet

My top hits on this blog have consistently been:

#1: 16 Lego Storage Options
#2: Storing the Vinyl Record Collection: What to Do with the LPs
#3: Leaving Your Shoes at the Door

So when Apartment Therapy's daily e-mail alerted me to this incredibly beautiful record cabinet from Atocha Design, I knew I had to blog about it! The company says the cabinets are made from sustainably harvested and rapidly renewable materials. The same cabinet can be configured with different drawers designed to hold 7-inch singles as well as LPs - or to hold CDs and DVDs. OK, it costs a pretty penny - like $12,500. Update on March 16, 2012: Good news: The price on this cabinet has come way down. It's now selling for $5,900.


record album storage

I've found some other alternatives since I last wrote on this subject - none as stunning as the record cabinet, but considerably less expensive. This solid wood stackable storage unit holds 100 albums; the casters are optional. It comes in an oak finish as well as the ebony one show above. Update on June 26, 2014: The company that sold this, Wood Technology (www.wood-tech.com), may have disappeared.


LP display rack, blue

And then there are the display racks from International Display, a company that provides shop fittings. These can be painted in a huge variety of colors. The display unit above holds 450 12-inch LPs; they also sell an LP record storage rack that will hold 1,000 LPs. Update on Oct. 12, 2019: I'm no longer finding these display racks.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool. I had the vinyl out last night. I must say my favourite is the top one. I like that the records will be kept dust free. The cabinet looks like it would hold quite a few, as well as other media. It makes a nice piece of furniture. And the style reminds me of my parents' old stereo record player.

Jeri Dansky said...

Angela, they say each drawer holds about 95 LPs, so if you configured it to have 8 LP drawers, that would indeed be quite a lot!

It reminded me of my parents' old stereo record player, too!

Anonymous said...

wow the cabinet looks great and would be perfect for my collection, but the price is impossible

Jeri Dansky said...

Anonymous: Yeah, I know - wonderful cabinet, price that's way out of reach for many of us.

Unknown said...

Yea the Top cabinet is nice but at 5500 I could build Built in shelves in the wall and still have enough money to Buy more albums and TV and a home theater system and possibly a car haha

Cosplay wig said...

Thanks for adding the new information, as well as your analysis. This is why your blog is one of the few I read and even bother to comment on. I don’t do it to hear myself talk – I do it because I know you actually listen.