Friday, September 11, 2009
The city of Burlingame's Neighborhood Network program has some wonderful fliers dealing with many aspects of emergency preparedness; while the fliers ask Are you ready for the Big One?, much of the advice were apply to other types of disasters, too.
What should you do if you're in bed when an earthquake hits? "Hold on and stay there, protecting your head with a pillow." But, as the fliers emphasize: A pillow is not enough! So there are fliers dealing with:
- Emergency supplies.
- Water access during an emergency.
- Earthquake preparedness tips for children.
- Emergency preparedness tips for pets.
- Protecting yourself during earthquake shaking.
- Emergency utility shutoff.
- Power outages (with some information specific to the San Mateo County area).
The posters were designed by San Francisco Chronicle cartoonist Don Asmussen, so they are funny as well as informative.
The water-access flier is available (at a reduced size) online; the neighborhood network web site has information on how to get a full set of the posters.