Monday, October 5, 2009

Reader Question: Hunting for a Specific Cabinet

tanbour door filing cabinets

I'm on a search and I can't believe I can't find these anywhere. Years ago, I saw a cabinet made by some Danish furniture company. The ones I saw were teak and cost maybe $800 new. They are maybe 4.5 to 5 feet tall and have tambour doors. Inside, there are "trays" maybe three or four inches high that sit on roller boards so you can "roll" them out. The trays are removable, so you can take them out. They make awesome displays and the cupboards lock and close up so you can shut down the collection. I've seen them called map cabinets, architects cupboards, and Danish filing systems. Do you know where I can get one? -- Reader from Ohio

I've seen flat files, sometimes called architect's files - but they aren't quite what the reader is describing.

I have found some tambour door filing cabinets in oak that seem like what the reader wants - but they come from the U.K.


tambour door file cabinet

Antique dealers seem to have them at times - but this one - also from the U.K. - is sold.

Does anyone else know where the reader can find his cabinet?

15 comments:

WickedThrifty said...

i wish i did! i grew up with cabinets just like this in my living room, which my mom used (still does!) for sheet music... great design. best of luck! perhaps going to an unfinished furniture store with the design would work-- they can often custom-make to your parameters at a fairly low cost.

Anonymous said...

If Thrifty Stylist's mom uses hers for storing sheet music, there's a chance that's what they were originally made for. Any luck with checking companies that make and sell furniture for music and musicians?

Good luck! Margaret Lukens, New Leaf + Company

Maya said...

search for sheet music cabinet. They are not as tall but very pretty. Try this link: www.pianobench.com/catalog/7

Jeri Dansky said...

Thrifty Stylist, newleafnews, and Malgosia: Good idea! I have a post about sheet music storage, including some nice cabinets. None of the ones I listed have the tambour door the reader was looking for - but maybe they could still work for him.

Anonymous said...

Try Ikea.com I saw an Alex drawer system that might help. It's not teak but cheap and cheerful.

Anonymous said...

The cabinet looks like some I've seen in craft stores to hold scrapbook papers. (I've always wanted one myself for MY papers!)

You may wantto check places that sell display cabinets to crafts stores as well as music stores. The owner should be able to tell you who they buy from.

Diane said...

http://cgi.ebay.com/DANISH-TEAK-TAMBOUR-DOOR-FLAT-FILING-CABINET-EAMES-ERA_W0QQitemZ160367872698QQcmdZViewItemQQssPageNameZRSS:B:SRCH:US:101

Is this what you're looking for?

Jeri Dansky said...

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions. Diane, that eBay item sure looks like what the reader is asking for! I'll drop him a note and make sure he reads these comments!

Steve said...

Thanks to everyone that commented. The ones on ebay that are already sold are EXACTLY what I was looking for. I'm watching another set on there now and I also am planning on looking at IKEA. The ones at the store in Great Britain would work, but shipping to USA is too expensive. Thanks again everyone.
Steve

Diane said...

Steve, if you're talking about the eBay item I posted, I don't think the auction closes for a couple more days...it's not sold yet!

Anonymous said...

Using the search words "Danish teak tambour" I easily found one of these cabinets listed on eBay. Item #160367872698 The auction finishes in three days.

Diane said...

Anonymous, that's the same one I posted...so it is still open, Steve. Hope you get them! : )

Unknown said...

i bought one of these at a furniture store in mountain view, ca in 1999. the store is called danish concepts, www.danishconcepts.com.

the cabinet that i have is similar to this one, but it's a dual model - two columns of 11 drawers each, and a rollup door on each column.

Jeri Dansky said...

Doug, I know Danish Concepts; I've shopped there, although that was a number of years ago. How interesting to know you found your cabinet there!

Anonymous said...

I found one of these at the Alameda Flea Market yesterday - it sounds just like the one Doug purchased from Danish Concepts -- I was curious about it and cannot find much online about where it may have been made...