Friday, May 15, 2009

Let There Be Light in Your Closets

closet light fixture

It's hard to have an organized space without enough light, and closets are often a place where lighting is a problem. My first thought when seeing a dark closet involves either adding light fixtures with the help of an electrician, or using the battery-powered lights that are widely available. (Here's just one, and here's another.) If you want to add a wired light fixture, there are many possible designs; Rejuvenation has some suggestions.


lighted closet rod

But a few months ago, Closets magazine had an article on closet lighting which introduced me to an interesting specialty product. Hettich makes a battery-operated illuminated garment/coat rail that uses LED technology.


solar tube in closet

Another option for a dark closet could be a solar tube; this one comes from Solatube.

[Top photo by MBK (Marjie), licensed under Creative Commons.]

5 comments:

Pauline Wiles said...

That illuminated garment rail is very cool!
Jeri, if a small award is of interest to you, please stop by
Struggling to be Stylish to collect it.
Thanks for all the great organizing ideas.

Heather said...

I wish I had that closet in the bottom photo!

Jeri Dansky said...

Struggler, thank you for the award. I'll write my own entry shortly.

Heather, that closet is lovely. It wouldn't work for me, though; it has way more shoe cubbies than I have shoes.

Sevenbeads said...

I always find good ideas in your blog, thank you! I have a new jewelry organizer in mine. He does great work, just not much of it. Stop by.

Jeri Dansky said...

Doing It Herself, I love your jewelry organizer. Talk about repurposing an item!