Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thanksgiving Blog: Pie Safes

pie safe, punched tin doors

The pie safe seems like a perfect organizing idea for today - I don't know about you, but I'm happily contemplating the pumpkin pie I'll be eating later.

If you've never heard of a pie safe, here's the explanation from Mother Earth News: "a cabinet with tight joints and close-fitting doors to exclude pests and retain enough humidity to keep pies moist, but also featuring tiny, ant and gnat excluding perforations in the door so air could circulate to prevent mold." I've seen some items sold as pie safes which don't seem to have the perforations, but all the ones I'm listed here do indeed have them.


pie safe with punched tin doors

GreatWindsorChairs.com offers much more than Windsor chairs - including seven different versions of the pie safe.


pie safe

And Massie Furniture, a family-owned company in North Carolina, also makes a number of different pie safes.

2 comments:

Cynthia Friedlob said...

These are so charmingly old-fashioned that they remind me of my grandmother's house!

Happy belated Thanksgiving, Jeri.

Jeri Dansky said...

Thanks, Cynthia - and a happy belated Thanksgiving to you, too.

I spent much of the holiday dealing with sick cat issues, which began on Thanksgiving morning. But it wound up not being serious, and by Saturday afternoon things were returning to normal.