Friday, October 17, 2008

Refrigerator Doors, Revisited

magnetic ship model

How do you use your refrigerator door? While some people like keeping theirs unadorned, many of us use the door for information or artistic display. I wrote about refrigerator doors in August 2007 - but here are some more options.

Magnets

Sure, you already know about magnets, and there are lots of nice ones to choose from. (However, do be cautious about using small powerful magnets if you have young children.) But I couldn't resist sharing this handmade miniature ship model that's also a refrigerator magnet. (Seven different models are available.)


Magnetic Hooks

h=flexible magnetic hook, holding a cell phone

The Bendini flexiblr magnetic hook is a cute option. Update on Nov. 7, 2012: Sadly, it seems that these have been discontinued.


blue magnetic hook shaped like a person

It's also sold at mookau, a gift boutique in Sheffield, U.K. Update on Nov. 7, 2012: Make that WAS sold. 


magnetic hooks, four styles

Umbra makes some less whimsical - but very cool - magnetic hooks and knobs. Update on Nov. 7, 2012: I'm no longer finding these products, either.


Magnetic Clips

magnetic clips

Again, there are all sorts of these - many of them plastic gizmos provided by companies as promotional items. But these pegs by Najade are a prettier option. Update on Nov. 7, 2012: These have disappeared, too.


Timers

blue round magnetic timer

This magnetic timer comes in four colors. Another option is the Eva Solo timer which I mentioned here.


Yet More Magnetic Options

magnetic organizer (pockets for stuff)

This magnetic organizer comes from Monkey Business in Israel.


magnetic spice tins on refrigerator

You can create your own magnetic spice rack, as Ross C. did. Magnetic tins are widely available (see here and here, too) - and of course you could use them for something other than spices.


blackboard magnetic coasters

And then there's the blackboard magnetic coasters. [via Apartment Therapy]


For the Stainless Steel Fridge

refrigerator clips for stainless steel fridges

Here's a product designed specifically for those with stainless steel refigerators: Happeez clips, available in a wide range of patterns. [via Cool Mom Picks; also available, in a more limited set of patterns, at See Jane Work]

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those magnetic spices are a really neat idea! I would have never thought to do that. I like all the cool little magnet gadgets you talked about...thanks for sharing! My fridge right now mainly has decorative magnets, but I love the idea of having functional magnets too.

By the way, I just found your blog and I think it's great!

Jeri Dansky said...

Sarah, welcome! I'm so glad to hear you like the blog, and that it's giving you some good ideas.

Anonymous said...

I thought I recognised those keys :-)

Thanks for the mention - the magnetic hook people are still available at mookau for those of you in the UK (and available on-line in the New Year) and I can vouch for them being magnetic enough to hold my sister-in-laws bunch of keys, which is bigger than most jailer's!

Jeri Dansky said...

Nick, I'm glad to know you'll be selling online next year. I just subscribed to your blog; I love independent shops like yours (although you're a bit far from home for me).