Thursday, September 30, 2010

Living With What You Love

Living With What You Love book cover

Being uncluttered and organized does not mean you need to be a minimalist. It does mean surrounding yourself with things you love - and making sure your possessions fit well within your space.

Living With What You Love: Decorating with Family Photos, Cherished Heirlooms, and Collectibles will not appeal to those who like a minimalist decor. (And the homes shown mostly seem to be those of the reasonably wealthy.)

While I do indeed surround myself with things I love, those things I love are mostly not photos, heirlooms or collectibles. But this book has enough images that even I found some I liked - for example, I was drawn to the room with a collection of old animal-shaped weathervanes on the wall. (I like quirky.)

Actually, the book includes a number of unusual and appealing collections: lovely mugs with the name "William" collected by parents of a William, antique bowling pins, items all shaped like a circle. It's a reminder that well-curated collections can be a lovely addition to a home.

And especially for a family with children, I can see the appeal in decorating with family photos. I liked author Monica Rich Kossan's suggestion for creating a Happy Hallway that speaks to the children of the love within the family - so they get that message, however subliminally, all the time.

Finally, here's one thing that really caught my attention. Kosann writes of items needing to earn the right to be part of your "family landscape." That's something for all of us seeking uncluttered homes to keep in mind - no matter how we choose to decorate.

3 comments:

Neat Nest said...

Looks like a great book - thanks for sharing.

Cynthia Friedlob said...

It's interesting that so many people who are drowning in clutter think that the only alternative is minimalism. I happen to like minimalism (haven't achieved it, but still...), but I also appreciate keeping and displaying significant things that have genuine meaning. This book looks like it conveys that idea beautifully. Thanks for the tip!

Debbie said...

The last spot to be decluttered on my list is the attic. I'm so dreading this. Memories abound.

I'm becoming a minimalist because I'm just tired of cleaning and I love the open space. I've considered the hallway idea and love that she called it the "Happy Hallway".