Thursday, July 19, 2007

The Organized Artist

painting entitled 18 Moons, by Enrico Donati

Organizers will tell you that being organized doesn't stifle creativity - rather, it can help someone to be more creative.

So I was struck by Leah Garchick's column in today's San Francisco Chronicle, where she writes about Enrico Donati, age 98, and the exhibit entitled The Surreal World of Enrico Donati at the de Young mueum.

Here's an excerpt from the column:

The one-room exhibition . . . is a re-creation of Donati's New York studio. . . . It's a perfectly neat and organized space, and when I asked Donati whether in real life, his studio has blobs of paint on the floor, he exclaimed,"No way! It's like an operating room . . . I turn around," he said, moving to his left and reaching to mimic the gesture he was describing, "and when I want blue, I have it. I know where it it."

[image: 18 Moons by Enrico Donati, at the Weinstein Gallery]

2 comments:

Cynthia Friedlob said...

Love this post! I'm so delighted that Donati explained the virtues of organization for an artist. I've always believed that the image of the mad genius, flailing about in a chaotic studio as brilliant art is being created is a totally ridiculous stereotype.

I'm an artist and Heaven knows I struggle with organization, but if I let things get out of control, my artistic efforts are doomed. It's hard to accomplish much if you can't find your brushes and paints, and clutter can be downright depressing so it doesn't exactly fire the creative urge.

In fact, (shameless promotion!) I'll be offering a workshop specifically for artists called "Clutter and Creativity" through the auspices of the Southern California Women's Caucus for Art. It's in Los Angeles on September 16th. Details will be available in late August or early September on the calendar at www dot SCWCA dot org.

Jeri Dansky said...

Cynthia: I'm so glad you liked this post - I was thinking of you as I wrote it, since I know you are an artist.

I look forward to learning more about your seminar - even though I'm not an artist, and I live a bit too far away to attend.