Thursday, April 12, 2007
Professional organizers tend to get a bit testy about ads and articles that equate storage with organization. As Don Aslett says in Clutter's Last Stand, "Have you ever noticed that most of the books and articles on how to more efficiently organize a house really show how to hang up, hide, file, tolerate, and make decorative use of junk?"
A couple examples that have bugged me lately:
- "If clutter is tidied away, then a room will feel bigger." - LivingEtc Magazine
- The ClosetWorld ad shown above, implying that all you need to get organized is a new closet system!
- Self Storage: A Growing Business
- My March 2007 Organizing Newsletter Tip of the Month: Four Steps to Eliminating Clutter (with a mild rant about an IKEA ad)
- Is Storage the Same as Organization? U-Haul Thinks So. (from fellow organizer Monica Ricci)