Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Why You Really Might Want a Label Maker

Borther P-touch label maker
I'm with Gina at Lifehacker - when I first read David Allen's Getting Things Done, I was sure I didn't need a label maker. And like Gina, I changed my mind. I now have one client (who loves her new labels) who has taken to calling me Our Lady of the Label Maker.

Here are Gina's before and after pictures, which show why she's a convert. Look how much easier it is to read the file label when it's not hand-written. Many of us with older eyes will especially appreciate the difference. And it's much nicer aesthetically, if that matters to you.

files with hand-written labels

files with labels from label maker

My labeler of choice is the Brother PT-1950 (shown above) - but any good labeler will do.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I resisted getting a label maker for a while as well - it just seemed to be more clutter. I finally gave in and I love it and use it all the time. I find that I label a lot more stuff, which makes it less likely that someone (or me) will put something where it doesn't belong.

Jeri Dansky said...

Anonymous: Thanks for sharing your experiences! Sometimes things work just like they are supposed to - often to our amazement. Labeling and labelers seem to be one of those situations; I've never seen increased use of labels to be anything but successful.

Anonymous said...

Since I started decluttering and keeping a nice neat home, I've been wanting one of these, but just never got around to it. I finally did and love it.

Jeri Dansky said...

Congratulations, Jason!