Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Reader Question: Dog Toy Storage

two dog toy boxes, green and red, picture of a bone on the side

A reader asks: I wonder if you have seen any cute/functional/durable dog toy storage containers. We have a 10-month-old black Lab puppy, and I'd love to corral her toys in something cute/functional/durable. An added note, I have a farmhouse country decorating theme.

Oh, I love a challenge like this. While there's no reason you'd have to use a box designed specifically for dog toys, there sure are some nice options out there. The one above comes from Whitney Works Home.


white pet toy box

Pet Studio makes some pet toy boxes, in white and mahogany. These are available from a number of on-line stores. Update on Oct. 29, 2013: I'm no longer finding these toy boxes.


blue toy chest with painting of dogs on the front; says Dog Toys

This dog toy chest with the hand-painted front panel is also sold by a number of on-line stores. Update on Oct. 29, 2013: I'm no longer finding this toy chest.


breed toy box - picture of entire box, and close-up of Lab picture

Tails by the Lake makes toy boxes with pictures of different breeds, including Labs. Update on Oct. 29, 2013: I'm no longer finding these toy boxes.


ed pet toy chest, picture of dog, says TOYS

Lola & Penelope's Pet Boutique has this hand-made pet toy chest.


wooden toy box shaped like a bone

Little Shop of Terrors has toy boxes shaped like bones, in two sizes. Update on Oct. 29, 2013: I'm no longer finding these toy boxes.


wooden dog toy bin, full of toys

If you'd like something without a lid, this wooden dog toy bin might do. Update on Oct. 29, 2013: I'm no longer finding this toy bin.


pet toy box made from wine crate, full of toys

And while they may be the right thing for the reader posing the question, I just have to mention these pet toy boxes handcrafted from wine crates.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are darling dog toy organizers. I had never thought that there was anything like those on the market.

We purchased a large ceramic pot (the kind you could use as a planter or put already planted pots in). It's pretty, matches our colors, and our dog can easily get her toys without assistance. The reader might be able to find an antique (look) crock that would coordinate with her decor but would be easy for her dog to use.

We have a lab. They can be chewers and we have to get the toys for the strongest chewers.

Jeri Dansky said...

Good suggestion, Lee - thanks for commenting.

And I had no idea there were products like this, either, until I started looking for answers to the reader's question. I was surprised at how many nice organizers I found!

Louise said...

My mother's dalmatian, Freckles, had her very own toy box. It was similar to the breed-specific ones you show. We all got a kick out of watching Freckles pick a toy from the box. She never learned to put them away, though :-)

Jeri, thanks for the link via the Simply Stated article on living in a truck cab.

Jeri Dansky said...

Louise, Freckles sounds like a lot of people I know!