Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Joy of Saying No

The July 2007 Reader's Digest has an article entitled Find More Time. I'm not thrilled with that title - since there's no more time to be found, just better choices to be made about how we use that time. The article has solid advice, but is certainly far from the best I've read.

But I did like this part, from one woman who had been coached about taking on too much and the importance of saying no to some requests: No became my favorite word. I was amazed how much extra time I had once I said, "Sorry, I can't do that." A relative wanted to have a baby shower at my house, which meant I'd have to reschedule my plans, so I said, "That doesn't work for me." It was so empowering!

4 comments:

Matthew Cornell said...

I think saying "no" is much easier when you have a complete list of everything you've already said "yes" to. Then you can make balanced decisions about taking on something new, esp. what you'd need to give up if you commit.

I like how Mark Forster puts it: Never to say "yes" unless you can say it *wholeheartedly* (from Wholehearted Living).

Jeri Dansky said...

Matthew,

Good points - I agree with both. I'm sure I've read that Mark Forster article before, but it's always nice to be reminded of such wisdom.


Jeri

Diana said...

Sometimes we even have the responsibility to say no! If adding a new activity to my life makes me stray outside my mission for my life I am doing myself a disservice by saying yes.

Jeri Dansky said...

Diana,

What a powerful way of looking at saying no! Thank you for taking the time to comment.

Jeri