Friday, September 19, 2008

Preparing for Emergencies: Another Reminder

JoAnn Scordino

Just a week ago, I wrote about JoAnn Scordino's advice regarding disaster preparedness: Be prepared to be on your own for up to ONE WEEK. (That's JoAnn pictured above.)

And then came Hurricane Ike last Friday night and Saturday morning, and reports of the relief efforts prove her point. Most news sources say the relief efforts have gone quite well, and that's wonderful. (A huge "thank you" to all who serve as volunteers in such relief efforts, including bloggers Sean and Louise.)

But still, in my local Wednesday morning paper, I read the following report from Juan A. Lozano of Associated Press:
The majority of Houston was still without power late Tuesday, with CenterPoint Energy projecting most would be without electricity for another week. Residents again waited in line for hours on end at the 22 supply distribution centers set up in Houston to hand out food, water and ice.
And CNN reported:
Four days after Hurricane Ike strafed the Texas Gulf Coast and Houston region, evacuees and survivors stood in hours-long lines Wednesday in several cities to get the bare necessities.
In the past week, I've taken my first steps to getting more prepared: I've bought more bottled water for my emergency stash. And I'm going to keep taking those small steps that move me toward being more prepared. What about you?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I was interested in a comment you made on another post. I have a range of products that are unique and may warrent your coverage. Please email me should you be interested.

Michele said...

Thanks for the reminders - we'll be really thankful if we ever need the supplies. I've started researching what I need to do to prepare.

Jeri Dansky said...

Michele, congratulations for taking the first step. Maybe you can let us know about your progress on your own blog.

Jeri Dansky said...

Jonny, you haven't provide an e-mail address, so I have no way to contact you.