Monday, September 8, 2008

Closet Dividers, For Baby Clothes and More

baby closet dividers

Some products don't make a whole lot of sense to me, at first blush - but they seem to meet other people's needs. I'm not sure why you'd want to have a lot of different sizes of baby/toddler clothing hanging in the same closet, unless you have multiple children sharing a closet. (I guess if you got a lot of clothes as gifts, and you have spare closet space, that could explain it.)

Anyway, for those who do have multiple-size-clothes-in-one-closet issues, these dividers might help keep them sorted out. They come in a range of patterns and sizes. [via Apartment Therapy]


closet dividers for a child's closet

There sure must be a demand for this type of product, because there are a number of options. I think it was organizer Tanna Clark who directed me to these dividers. Update on July 18, 2012: I'm no longer finding these dividers.


child closet organizer

There's also the omnipresent Baby Buddy Size-It Closet Organizer. [photo from Baby Bungalow] Thanks to organizer Kathleen Luskus for pointing this one out to me.


four closet divider hangers

And then there's the Organized Clothing Divider (OCD) Closet Hangers from Precious Petals Handmade Creations. Update on July 18, 2012: I'm no longer finding these anywhere.


garment divider organizers

Moving beyond just children's clothing, there are the Simple Division Garment Organizers from organizer Lorie Marrero's Living Order. These organizers come with a choice of labels in both English and Spanish; you can also create your own.


closet rod divider basic white disk

For that department-store look, you can always get these very simple closet rod dividers that you can label with a wax pencil or label maker.

Or you could follow the lead of Ricky Spears, who made his own - so his wife would have an easier time putting away his clothes (and so he could find things more easily). Caroline Armelle also made her own, for her baby's closet.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking from my experience, I have received gifts of clothes for my daughter that are at least one size larger than she can currently wear. So, instead of packing them away (where I will almost certainly forget them), I hang them with clothes that currently fit. To avoid confusing the multiple sizes at dressing time, I keep the store hangers that are labeled with the size and use them to hang the clothes.
To me, the tags are cute but unnecessary if you keep the store hangers.

Anonymous said...

Jeri, thanks for featuring our product (Simple Division®). The popular labels that grownups get most use from are "Too Big," "Too Small," "Capri Pants"(not confusing them with regular pants), "Iron," "Uniforms," etc. Our clients also appreciate that someone else can put the clothing away for them and put it in the right place so they can stay organized. As professional organizers, we like using them in our work because it helps us when we're sorting, and it "brands" the closet as finished and feels like an organizer has really been there. We have NAPO volume discounts at www.clutterdiet.com/napo. THANKS!

Anonymous said...

I love, love the Simple Division dividers because of the labeling area...and they hang nicely in the closet. I personally use these.

Door hangers are also very effective... and they come in wood which is a nice option. Yes, more work than the others and you jhave to have a certain kind of closet rod that is removabable to use these.

http://www.dickblick.com/zz604/54/

John

Jeri Dansky said...

Annasmom07 and ChiefExecutiveOrganizer, thanks for your comments; that helps me better understand how people use the dividers.

mathmom said...

Just another reason folks might use something like this -- I have 3 boys, so I have a collection of dress clothes running from the youngest's size to a little larger than the oldest's (if I find something suitable in a 2nd hand shop that is too big, I'll pick it up and save it). It's actually easiest, I've found, to stick these all in one closet, and just pull out clothes of the appropriate sizes whenever a holiday or other "dress clothes occasion" occurs. So I went looking for dividers to help me not have to look at the tags in each pair of pants every single time, and found your blog...

Jeri Dansky said...

Mathmom, thanks for commenting! That makes a lot of sense. (And I'm always curious as to how people find my blog.)

Flagstaff Odds 'N Ends said...

I have had the yellow dividers for about 10 years now. I have used them for 2 kids and currently use them for the whole family. When the kids out grew those sizes I relabeled them with everyones name. Now they divide our fall jackets/winter/snow clothes in my mud room closet.

Jeri Dansky said...

Wow, Flagstaff Odds 'N Ends, those dividers have sure earned their keep!

crazy4paper said...

Closet hangers are very useful if you have a baby. Since babies outgrow their clothes fairly quickly, you usually have all different sizes hanging up already in the closet. I am in the middle of making my own set right now in preparation for my 3rd daughter. I wish I would have had a set for my other kids.