Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Too Many Holiday Decorations?

Christmas decorations

How many boxes of Christmas decorations have you accumulated over the years? Fellow organizer Andrea Sharb provides this seasonal tip which could apply to decorations for any holiday.
One thing I do each year when decorating is to place the items that I am not using in the current year in a box which I label "did not use in 200x." I pack it away as soon as the decorating is complete. When I decorate the following year, I reassess the items that were not used in the prior year. If they still don't make the cut, I donate them to the local thrift store immediately.

This system has worked well for me because sometimes I do end up giving decorations a "second chance," especially this year, when we moved and certain decorations that didn't work at our old house last year look great in the new one.

The system also works well for the thrift store because I am donating the items at their most marketable time of the year, as opposed to right after the holidays when the holiday items are no longer in demand.

[photo from Patrick Q]

2 comments:

Patrick said...

That's a great organizational tip! Thanks for crediting the image. If you get a chance, it would be cool if you placed a link to this blog on the photo so others could follow it here. Merry Christmas!

Jeri Dansky said...

Patrick: The link is there now. Thanks for creating such a lovely imagine, and for licensing it through Creative Commons. Merry Christmas to you and yours.