Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Happy Holidays: Discardia Starts Dec. 21

Salvation Army collection in Oslo, Norway

Getting stressed out by the holidays? Try celebrating Discardia, starting on December 21.
Discardia is a new holiday.

It takes place in the time between the Solstices & Equinoxes and their following new moons. Sometimes it's short and sometimes it's long.

Discardia is celebrated by getting rid of stuff and ideas you no longer need. It's about letting go, abdicating from obligation and guilt, being true to the self you are now. Discardia is the time to get rid of things that no longer add value to your life, shed bad habits, let go of emotional baggage and generally lighten your load.
Read more on the Discardia web site.

[photo by sfllaw / Simon Law]

2 comments:

Cynthia Friedlob said...

I love this idea! It's wonderful that it begins on December 21st, just in time to make us think about the joys of what we already have instead of the pressures to get more and more.

I also love that it's a holiday that takes place throughout the year, so if you miss starting in December, just hop on board to celebrate the next one, beginning March 19th.

Conveniently seasonal purging of unnecessary stuff, all turned into a holiday: brilliant!

Jeri Dansky said...

Cynthia, I was thinking of you as I wrote this post; I'm glad to know I was right in believing it would appeal to you!

I received an e-mail from another reader who was equally enthusiastic. I love it when something I write resonates so well with others.