Wednesday, August 15, 2007

The Pursuit of Happiness

happy boy

Focus on the most important stuff and say no to the rest; we've all read plenty of books, articles and blog posts that encourage us along these lines.

In Crazy Busy, Edward Hallowell says, "Be sure to do what matters most to you."

In Making Time Work for You, Harold Taylor says, "Don't allow your calendar to fill up with other people's priorities while yours lie dormant on a wish list. Take charge of your life by determining what you want to accomplish . . ."
And it's all fine advice - but then I read Anne Truitt Zelenka's blog, where she quotes from Bella Tuscany by Frances Mayes:
What is replenishing? What is depleting? What takes? What gives? What wrings you out and truly, what rinses you with happiness? What comes from my own labor and creativity, regardless of what anyone else thinks of it, stays close to the natural joy we all were born with and carry always.
And I wondered if pondering "What rinses me with happiness?" would bring forth different answers than "What matters most to me?" or "What are my priorities?"

[photo by horizontal.integrati on / Jeffey]

No comments: