Sunday, June 24, 2007

Tim Ferriss De-Clutters

From The 4-Hour Workweek (the chapter on mini-retirements), by Timothy Ferriss:

. . . I realized a few things: I would never reread the business magazines I'd saved, I wore the same five shirts and four pairs of pants 90% of the time . . . and I never used the outdoor grill or lawn furniture.

Even getting rid of things I never used proved to be like a capitalist short-circuit. It was hard to toss things I had once thought were valuable enough to spend money on. The first ten minutes of sorting through clothing was like choosing which child of mine should live or die.

. . . Once I'd passed through the first few tough decisions, though, the momentum had built and it was a breeze. . . . I gave the grill and lawn furniture to my friend, who lit up like like a kid at Christmas. I had made his month.

. . . I created 40% more space in my apartment . . . It wasn't the extra physical space that I felt most. It was the extra mental space.

No comments: